Monday, April 13, 2015

What was I thinking?!

You know that moment, right after you've said "yes" to a giant project that you had no intention of agreeing to do?  That moment when you are just beginning to realize the enormity of the task and the full weight of its daunting responsibility?  Uh-huh, that's the moment.

Yup, I had that moment.  It was right after I said "Sure, I'd be happy to!"  It was then that I realized my compulsion to make people happy was a stupid character flaw.

My husband and his best buddy have been friends since well before I ever met him.  They've been through it - thick and thin.  They leaned on each other through failed marriages, career derailments, and a host of other things.  Each has been the other's confidante and supporter.

So, when the best buddy and his gal asked me to cater their wedding, at first I was thrilled that they liked my cooking well enough to ask me.  Next, I was flattered that they thought I could do this.  The voice of reason was banging around in my head trying to get control of the situation and I was sure that when I opened my mouth the words "Thanking you for asking me, but I couldn't possibly do it" would come out.  Instead, I heard myself say, "Oh!  I'd be so happy to - anything you want!"

What was I thinking?

When I had recovered, I quickly went to one of my favorite recipe resources - America's Test Kitchen.  I've watched most episodes of their show on PBS and have tried many of the their recipes.  Knowing that they test and taste until a recipe is perfect, I knew I would find just what I needed to pull this off.

I already had a couple of things in mind, like my Rice-Artichoke Salad and my Chinese Chicken Salad.  But I needed something extra that would round out the menu.  As I expected, they had exactly what I needed.


They had an episode where they used a gastrique* to dress the freshest of summer fruits, which creates complex layers of flavor along with dazzling color and sheen.

I've added the recipes for two of them - the two I used. However, there are four recipes altogether. (The other two recipes are:  Strawberries & Grapes with Balsamic & Red Wine Reduction and Red Plums & Figs with Brandy-Cardamom Reduction.)

When I made these two, I used just Honeydew & Blueberries (there weren't any great mangoes available at the time) and just Nectarines & Raspberries (I didn't think we needed to repeat the blueberries in a second fruit salad).

*A sauce made of a quick acid-sugar reduction.


 
HONEYDEW, MANGO, AND BLUEBERRIES WITH LIME-GINGER REDUCTION
INGREDIENTS
1
T grated lime zest from 4 limes (zest limes before juicing)
1
cup lime juice (from grated limes and additional 3-4 limes as needed)
¼  
cup granulated sugar
pinch salt
1
inch piece fresh ginger , peeled and minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1
T lemon juice
½
small honeydew melon , seeds and rinds removed, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
1
mango (about 10 ounces), peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
1
pint fresh blueberries
Directions
1. Simmer lime juice, sugar, and salt in small, heavy-bottomed nonreactive saucepan over high heat until syrupy, honey-colored, and reduced to 1/4 cup, about 15 minutes.
2. Off heat, add lime zest, ginger, and lemon juice; steep 1 minute, and strain.
3. Combine fruit in medium bowl; pour warm dressing over and toss.
4. Serve immediately at room temperature or cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate up to 4 hours, and serve chilled.
 
 
NECTARINES, BLUEBERRIES, AND RASPBERRIES WITH CHAMPAGNE-CARDAMOM REDUCTION
INGREDIENTS
1
cup Champagne (or dry white wine)
¼  
cup granulated sugar
pinch salt
1
T grated lemon zest
1
T lemon juice
5
cardamom pods, crushed
3
medium nectarines (about 18 ounces), pitted and cut in 1/2-inch wedges (about 3 cups)
1
pint fresh blueberries
1
pint fresh raspberries
Directions
1. Simmer champagne, sugar, and salt in small, heavy-bottomed nonreactive saucepan over high heat until syrupy, honey-colored, and reduced to 1/4 cup, about 15 minutes.
2. Off heat, add lemon zest and juice and cardamom; steep 1 minute to blend flavors, and strain.
3. Combine nectarines, blueberries, and raspberries; pour warm dressing over fruit and toss to combine.
4. Serve immediately at room temperature or cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate up to 4 hours, and serve chilled.
 
 
 
 
 

 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment