Monday, April 6, 2015

What do YOU call it?

"Crock Pot" or slow cooker?  I know, I know, it's like "Xerox" or photocopy.  "Google it" or do an internet search.  Well, in the end, it doesn't really matter what you call it.  It's a genius piece of kitchen equipment.  And, it's not just for Autumn and Winter cooking.  I use mine to make Calico Beans for summer get-togethers - indoors or outside.


I had never heard of Calico Beans until we were invited to an acquaintance's home for a large group mid-summer picnic.  We didn't know the hosts all that well, although attended the same church and knew lots of people in common.  It was very nice of them to include us.  We had a good time - lots of laughs and a shared meal.  But, honestly, the very best part of the event was that I was given the recipe for the Calico Beans we tasted that day.

It wasn't until I was preparing for this blog post that I discovered most recipes for Calico Beans include bacon and ground beef.  What a surprise!  The one we ate that day was vegetarian and I've never eaten it any other way.  I have no idea how this compares to the more traditional recipe.  And, truthfully, I don't need to know.  They are awesome - as is!

Very simple to prepare...just gather a few cans of different kinds of beans, a little sautéed onion, some "sauce" and you pop it all in the Crock Pot.  I usually start mine just before I go to bed.  If I get up in the night (ha ha ha - I ALWAYS get up in the night), I give them a stir.  But pretty much, you can just leave them alone.  A few hours and they are good.  But, I really prefer eight or more hours to get the truly melded flavor.  They go great with picnic food...if they last long enough to get to the picnic.  I've usually done plenty of sampling by the time they are ready to eat.  The husband thinks this recipe makes an almost full pot of beans.  He doesn't know that I've been taste-testing them to "keep them from overflowing" the Crock Pot. 

 

Calico Beans
 
INGREDIENTS
 
2
large cans Vegetarian Baked beans (I use Maple Sugar Beans)*
1
large can red Kidney beans
1
medium can Butter beans
1
medium onion, minced
1
T oil
 
Sauce:
1
cup ketchup
3
T vinegar
1
T Worcestershire sauce
1
cup packed brown sugar
 
Directions

1. Rinse the Kidney beans and the Butter beans in a colander until all the bubbles and foam are gone.
2. Turn the Crock Pot on medium heat.  Add all the beans to the Crock Pot.
3. Sauté onion in oil.  When starting to brown, remove from skillet and add to bean mixture in Crock Pot.
4. For the sauce, stir together in a small bowl ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar.  Add to bean mixture in Crock Pot.
5. Go to bed and sleep while the Crock Pot does the magic.  (Stir occasionally, if you're up.)
6. Cook for 3 to 4 hours (eight is better).

*Maple Sugar Beans only come in medium sized cans, so I always use four cans.  If you can't find Maple Sugar Beans, you can use any  brand of Vegetarian Baked Beans - I just prefer the Maple Sugar Beans by S&W.

No comments:

Post a Comment