Saturday, June 20, 2015

In search of...

I love that crumbly, crispy, oatmeal-y, sugary stuff that goes on top of the gooey, sweet, syrupy fruit stuff that's underneath.  Do you know what I'm talking about?  Ever since I started cooking (mom got me started at age 12), I've been in search of the perfect recipe for that topping.  My grandma used to make an awesome topping.  Mom's was okay.  But, I kept searching.  I knew it had oatmeal, brown sugar, and something to give it a little interest - like cinnamon or nutmeg usually.  Each one I tried was good, but not "WOW"!

All that changed today.  I need search no further!  I looked through most of my cookbooks and many online recipes to come up with this concoction.  Half the secret was realizing that I want MORE topping.  The other half of the secret is the unusual ingredients that were parts of different recipes I found.  I gave it a test drive this afternoon on top of the rhubarb I picked up at Bi-Zi Farms yesterday.

So simple to make.  I chose short thin stalks of rhubarb and crosscut them into small 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch pieces.  Choosing consistently sized stalks and uniform crosscuts makes the baking much easier.  No need to worry about whether the large pieces are done.

I dumped the cut rhubarb into an 11"x7" corning ware baking dish.  Tossed in some granulated sugar and a little bit of flour (to help it thicken up).  Then went on to make the oatmeal topping.

Here's the best part!  Besides the usual ingredients, I added ginger as the spice (instead of cinnamon) and coconut (instead of nuts).  Oh my!  I really had to resist the urge to just get out a spoon and start eating the uncooked topping right out of my mixing bowl!  Okay, I confess...I did eat a little bit - for taste testing purposes, of course.

As mentioned earlier, the other trick was to boost up the quantity of topping.  I found the perfect amount was to not double the recipe (a little too much), but rather to 1 1/2 times the topping recipe.  It smelled so good while it was baking in the oven.  (I think this topping would go VERY well on apples, peaches, pears, apricots, blueberries, cherries, as well as rhubarb.)  Rhubarb never tasted so good!
 
 
 

 
Rhubarb Crisp

INGREDIENTS

5
cups cut rhubarb (¼ to ½ inch pieces)
½  
cup granulated sugar
3
T all-purpose flour

Topping:

½  
cup regular rolled oats
½
cup packed brown sugar
¼
cup all-purpose flour
¼  
t ginger
¼
cup softened butter
¼
cup shredded coconut

Directions

1. Place rhubarb in an ungreased baking dish.  Toss in granulated sugar and all-purpose flour.  Toss to coat rhubarb.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine oast, brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and ginger.  Cut in soft butter with a pastry blender or your hands until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add coconut.  Sprinkle topping over filling.
4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes until topping is golden brown and fruit is tender.
5. If desired, serve warm with ice cream or light cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment