Friday, March 27, 2015

I cheat

Yup, it’s true.  I cheat.  Oh, I can make a pie crust.  But, I still cheat.

My pie crust is fine, adequate, passable, acceptable.  But, it’s not outstanding.  Besides which, I’d rather spend the time it takes to make a great pie crust doing something else.  I don’t know…sleep? read? clip recipes out of magazines?  So, I cheat.
 
I use Trader Joe’s Gourmet Pie Crust.  It comes two rolls in a box.  You can find it in the freezer section.
 
While I’m browsing (trolling) in the freezer section, I also pick up a couple of packages of their fancy berry medley.  And, since I have both pie crust and berries, why NOT make a pie?  Who needs a “real” reason to make pie?
 
One of the recipes I clipped out of Gourmet magazine (back in 2003) was their Three-berry Pie with Vanilla Cream.  Using that as a starting point, I make my own version of a Triple Berry Pie.  Give it a try – whether you make your own pie crust or not.
 
 
Triple-Berry Pie

INGREDIENTS

1
cup granulated sugar
3
T cornstarch
2
T quick-cooking tapioca
¼  
t kosher salt
2
pkgs Trader Joe’s frozen Fancy Berry Medley (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry)
2
Trader Joe’s pie crusts (the come two in a box)
1
large egg, lightly beaten
1
T sanding sugar

DIRECTIONS
1.  Put a large baking sheet in middle of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.

2. Whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch, tapioca, and salt, then toss with berries.

3. Roll out 1 piece of dough (keep remaining piece chilled) on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 13-inch round and fit into pie plate. Trim edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Chill shell while rolling out dough for top crust.  Roll out remaining piece of dough on lightly floured surface with floured rolling pin into an 11-inch round.

4.  Spoon filling into shell, then cover pie with pastry round and trim with kitchen shears, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Press edges together, then crimp edge decoratively. Brush top of pie with egg and sprinkle all over with sanding sugar. Cut 3 steam vents in top crust with a small sharp knife.

5.  Bake pie on hot baking sheet in middle of oven 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375°F and continue to bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling, about 45 minutes more.

6.   Cool pie on a rack at least 3 hours before serving to allow juices to thicken slightly (filling will still be juicy).

No comments:

Post a Comment