Thursday, April 26, 2012

Everything's better with butter

Hollandaise Sauce

I never met a poached egg that wouldn't benefit from a close relationship with a good Hollandaise Sauce.  Notice I said a 'good' Hollandaise Sauce.  Like other events in our lives, your first experience with Hollandaise Sauce will determine your future.  If you meet a good one, you'll love Hollandaise forever and always.  And, you'll be very picky about your sauce.  On the other hand, if your first experience is with a weak, gloppy, grainy mess you'll never ever be willing to give it a second chance.

Thankfully, my first experience with Hollandaise Sauce was a magical moment.  I've always loved the tart of lemon and who doesn't love BUTTER!!!

As has been mentioned before, I didn't grow up here.  I grew up in the tropics.  As a result of that happy experience, there are many different foods that I never have the opportunity to try or learn to like as a child.

Example:  We didn't have apples (except for very rare occasions when my parents were willing to part with more than their usual percentage of income  allotted to the food budget).  So, I never learned to like them.  Probably because by the time apples got to where we lived, they were well past their 'best by' date.  Or, more likely, because my first recollection of eating an apple was a disaster.

It was at a expatriate potluck gathering and around the time of my sixth birthday.  Mom splurged and bought some apples.  I remember it was evening (after dark) and we were eating 'al fresco'.  All of us kids were running around in the dark having a blast.  The women had done a beautiful job of decorating the tables and stringing lights in the trees.  It was one of those magical evenings.  Mom called me over and explained to me how special these apples were and told me how lucky I was to get this chance to eat one.  Expecting something really spectacular, I sank my teeth into it.  As I pulled the apple away from my mouth instead of leaving a piece of sweetness in my mouth, that apple took my first loose tooth.  Of course it hurt.  And, of course I started screaming and crying hysterically because my apple was all bloody.  It was like a Halloween horror movie.  Is it any wonder I'm still not a huge fan of apples, applesauce, apple juice, most anything with apple it in?

But, I digress.  Back to Hollandaise Sauce.  Sorry, got all distracted there for a minute.  You'll forgive me when you see that it helps to illustrate the point that your first experience is very important.  And, mine with Hollandaise Sauce was superb!

Post college days, at my first job, someone mentioned artichokes.  I didn't recall ever tasting one.  Being adventurous, I decided to try artichokes.  Having no idea what to do with them, I dragged out my trusty cookbook and looked them up.  (You notice and laugh that I mention my cookbook - singular - THOSE days are gone!)  Thankfully, my then lonely cookbook is very well illustrated.  The photo that went with the artichoke instructions was lovely.  And the sauce it mentioned to serve with the artichokes looked intriguing.  I decided to give it a whirl.  Thankfully, I didn't have any mishaps while preparing it and that sauce turned out blissfully delicious.  I've had a love thing goin' on with Hollandaise Sauce ever since.  But, boy am I picky!!!

Here's the recipe for the best Hollandaise Sauce I ever ate.  Keep in mind, this sauce is very finicky.  Too slow and it never comes together.  Too fast and you have scrambled eggs.  Patience, my friends, patience and luck.  And good eating!



Hollandaise Sauce

INGREDIENTS

3
large egg yolks
1
T lemon juice
½
c firm butter*

Directions
1. In a 1½ quart saucepan, vigorously stir egg yolks and lemon juice with wire whisk. Add 1/4 cup of the butter. Heat over very low heat, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until butter is melted.

2. Add remaining 1/4 cup butter. Continue stirring vigorously until butter is melted and sauce is thickened. (Be sure butter melts slowly so eggs have time to cook and thicken sauce without curdling.) If the sauce curdles (mixture begins to separate), add about 1 tablespoon boiling water and beat vigorously with wire whisk or hand beater until it's smooth.

3. Serve immediately. Store covered in refrigerator. To serve refrigerated sauce, reheat over very low heat and stir in a small amount of water.

Makes about ¾ cup sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment