Friday, July 22, 2011

It followed me home



My husband called it ‘the year of the pomegranate’. I’m not sure how it happened - again. But, it’s been happening for several years in a row. Around Thanksgiving time I get in this food mood. I get focused on some kind of food theme and everything I’m planning to make is swirling around it. One year it was mandarin oranges. Another year it was mushrooms. This last Thanksgiving it was pomegranates.

Well, maybe I do know how it happened (this year). I was at COSTCO and they had pre-packaged, already picked out of the peel & pulp, plump, beautiful arils (pomegranate seeds). I couldn’t resist them! So, they came home with me and I set off on a journey of discovery (via the internet) to find recipes that used arils.


Along the way, I found some wonderful websites and blogs. (One of the most beautiful blogs I found was called ‘My Persian Kitchen’. I’d highly recommend that you check it out…not just for pomegranates…if you like Mediterranean food at all.) Using ideas and inspiration from the various sites & blogs, I created my own set of pomegranate recipes for our Thanksgiving menu.

My family still lives. So, the recipes must not have been too bad! And, my husband, who started the labeling (complaining?) ate right along with the rest of them. I ended up buying pomegranate vinegar, pomegranate juice, & pomegranate infused oil to go along with those arils. And, I’ve been able to use most of them up with repeat requests to bring along ‘that pomegranate thing you made’.

I suppose the question is, “Should I try to avoid themed holiday food?” Or, should I start planning now for next Thanksgiving? If you’ve read one of my other posts, you’ll know that I’ll probably be bringing along a ‘weird salad’ if we get an invite to my cousin’s place again this year. Just thinking ahead…you know, just in case.


So, here’s one of the recipes I came up with: Pomegranate Salad with Pomegranate dressing. Enjoy!


Pomegranate Salad

INGREDIENTS

Vinaigrette:

¼   
cup pomegranate juice
2
T pomegranate vinegar
1
T honey
½
t kosher salt
½
t freshly ground black pepper
½  
cup pomegranate infused olive oil *

Salad:

1
head butter lettuce
½
cup pomegranate arils
½
cup shelled pistachios
½
cup feta cheese

Directions

1.     For the vinaigrette, combine pomegranate juice, pomegranate vinegar, honey, salt, & pepper in a bowl.  Gradually drizzle in olive oil while whisking vigorously.  Set aside.  *Extra virgin olive oil will do just as well, if you can’t find the flavored oil.
2.     For the salad, wash butter lettuce leaves and spin dry.  Tear into bite-sized pieces and place in large salad bowl.  Sprinkle lettuce with pomegranate arils and pistachios. Crumble feta cheese over top.
3.     Dress salad with pomegranate vinaigrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment