Sunday, July 10, 2011

Champagne anyone? (not that kind)

Paul's gift of a few 'champagne' mangoes has inspired a salad that I plan to take along for a picnic tomorrow at my family reunion.  More about that in a moment.  But first, a mango refresher course...

Ataulfo mangoes (aka 'champagne' or 'Philippine' mangoes) are very different from their fat cousins the Haden mangoes.  A 'Champagne' mango (on the left in the photo below) is superior is so many ways!  Besides being slimmer, having a thinner smaller pit, and being 'hairless', they just taste better.


Because I grew up in The Philippines, I've always favored the 'champagne' style mangoes.  During my teen years, when we lived in Singapore, we could get both types of mangoes.  We called the fat ones 'Indian' mangoes and the slimmer golden ones 'Philippine' mangoes.  In truth, the 'Philippine' ones we bought in the Singapore market were from Thailand.  But, the names kind of stuck.  And, I've always thought the 'Indian' variety tasted a bit like kerosene compared to a 'real' mango.

Now back to the family reunion.  My family isn't very fancy.  We don't have elaborate family reunions with identical T-Shirts and resort living for two weeks.  We just gather together somewhere in the middle of where we all live and group camp (or for the slightly more afluent or physically challenged among us, motel room it) at an inexpensive centrally located state park for a weekend in July.  In fact, we've been going to the same two or three spots for many years.

On Saturday, at noon, we have a family picnic.  It's usually hot and cloudless. There aren't many trees which turns the shady spots into prime real estate.  My aunts gather everyone's picnic tables together under the shadiest group of trees and bring out the well used (loved) tableclothes or repurposed sheets to create an extended table that they promptly overload with food.  It's not fancy fare.  Just plain 'ole home cookin'.  The rest of us add to the food madness with whatever we have.

My contribution this year is going to be a fruit salad.  Usually, I bring an entree or some kind of a one-dish wonder.  But, this year I decided to take it easy and bring my two favorites together in a cool fruit salad.  Simply raspberries and mangoes.  My secret twist is going to be the dressing.  I've tried several honey dressings before and know the taste I'm after.  I just need to find that one recipe that's right.

My search so far has gotten me about 12 dozen recipes that are basically the same.  And a couple three others that look interesting.  Tonight's project is to make the four recipes I've chosen and have my husband taste test with some of the fruit.  I may choose to take along more than one...you know...just in case I change my mind at the last minute.  I'll update this post after the reunion to let you know which one I took and what reaction it got.

The first dressing is made with equal parts water and honey, some lemon juice, cinnamon, & ginger.  You bring the water almost to a boil, add the honey and let it become syrupy.  Then add the lemon juice and spices.  The great taste tester liked it a lot.  I thought it tasted like mulled cider - not what I was after.

The second one is called Honey Orange Sauce.  It sounded interesting but turned out awful!  Orange juice, lemon juice, honey, ginger, & nutmeg.  It was bitter.  A complete waste of honey.

We didn't get to try the third one.  I may give it a go another time.  I think it would be good.  The reason we didn't try it was that my local market didn't have mint today.  Can you believe it?  Of all things to be out of when I'm experimenting!  It called for honey, lime juice, brown sugar, & mint.  Sigh.  Another time.

Here's the winner.  Got many compliments and lots of questions about it!


Honey Dressing
INGREDIENTS
 
cup sugar
1
t dry mustard
1
t paprika
¼  
t salt
1
t celery seed
cup honey
5
T white vinegar
1
T lemon juice
1
cup vegetable oil
Directions
Blend all ingredients in blender, adding oil in a thin steady stream - whirling continually.

No comments:

Post a Comment