Thursday, June 2, 2011

She totally made it up

When I was at the market the other day, I found a new item on their shelves - handmade style corn tortillas.  Even though they are made in a factory like most commercially available corn tortillas, they have that look and feel of handmade tortillas - a little thicker and uneven.  (Isn't it funny that we are often willing to pay more for a product that is less attractive when that 'undesireable' trait hints that it is more special because it's less attractive?) One of the most intriguing things about them, is that they feel more like flour tortillas (soft, pliable) than corn tortillas.  All of which got me to thinking about a recipe that I haven't made in a very long time.  Tami's "Egg-Stuff".  I plunked those babies (the tortillas) in my cart and headed over to the dairy section to pick up a dozen eggs and some cheese.  Then 'round the corner to the produce section for some mushrooms, a couple of carrots, and an onion.

The first time I ever had this, I was at my friend Tami's home.  We were hanging out, bored, with nothing to do on a Saturday night.  We were hungry and started scrounging through Tami's refrigerator.  She didn't have much.  But, with the few things we did find, Tami totally made up this recipe.  I think I have the only written out copy of it.

And, as you can see, it certainly doesn't have a fancy name, like most recipes currently do.  I think I just wrote "Tami's Egg-Stuff" across the top of the recipe card when I got home later that evening because I didn't know what else to call it.  If I was to name it now, it would have a much longer flowery name.  Perhaps something like "Soft French Eggs with Champignon, Carotte, Oignon, and Fromage in Pita Pain".  Or "Egg Clouds in a Plain Wrapper". Or some other equally ridiculous name.  No matter what you call it, it hit the spot that night and it has many time since.

When I got home from the market and pulled the old recipe card out of my box, I realized that it doesn't even call for tortillas!  Tami and I ate it in Pita bread!  But, I didn't care.  Those yummy looking tortillas had called my name and I was going to eat them with Tami's "Egg-Stuff".


Tami’s “Egg-Stuff”

INGREDIENTS

1  
med Onion, diced
1-2
Vegetable oil
½
lb button mushrooms, sliced
1
Carrot, shredded
6
eggs, well beaten
½
cup grated cheese (whatever kind you like)

Salt

Pepper

Pita Bread (or Handmade-Style Corn Tortillas)

Salsa

Directions

1.     Sauté onions in oil until clear.  Add sliced mushrooms and sauté until tender, but still plump.  Add shredded carrot and well beaten eggs.
2.     Cook in the way you would scrambled eggs ‘til eggs are softly done.

3.     Season with salt and pepper.
4.     Toss in grated cheese and then remove from heat as soon as cheese has melted.

5.     Stuff into pocket of Pita bread and serve with Salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment