Wednesday, June 1, 2011

It’s bread, trust me

I like having a vegetable garden.  I do not like preparing the garden ground.  I do not like planting the garden.  I do not like waiting for the seeds to sprout.  I do not like thinning the plants.  I do not like weeding the garden.  I do not like watering the garden.  I do not like plucking the slugs out of the garden.  But, I do like ‘having’ a garden.  It’s very satisfying to wander out there and pick beautiful produce just before I start preparing dinner.

Early on in my marriage (back when I could convince my husband with a few bats of my eyelashes that he loved me enough to make me a garden) we had a good looking garden.  He bought wood and built raised beds.  He rototilled the earth.  He brought in bags of steer manure (can anyone tell me what’s inferior about cow manure?...just asking) and spread it over the freshly turned dirt.  He rototilled it again.  He decided it needed peat moss.  He rototilled it again.  He bought seed packets (off my list).  He planted the seeds.  He carefully marked the rows in each bed with the empty seed packets.  He watered.  He waited.  He plucked the slugs.  It was a gorgeous garden!

There was only one problem.  I’m still not sure how this happened.  One day we had this beautiful vegetable garden and the next day we had a truckload of zucchini each one the size of a small boat!

My mother used to say that one zucchini plant in a garden was a half a plant too many.  I never understood what she meant until that year.  Oh, she was so right!  Suddenly, we were eating zucchini at every meal.  I was scouring my recipe collection and cookbooks for new zucchini recipes.  We ate zucchini omelettes for breakfast, zucchini patties for lunch, and stuffed zucchini for dinner.  I couldn’t think of enough ways to use it all up.






On my infrequent trips to the market for other items, I would see zucchini for sale in the produce section and I was appalled to see what they were charging for them.  I was often tempted to check the parking lot for unlocked cars so I could sneak my extras in someone’s back seat while they were shopping.  Shoot, on my most desperate days, I would have happily paid people to take zucchini home.

I decided to freeze zucchini.  The shredding and bagging and sealing began.  Then the freezer got full.  The zucchini was piling up in my kitchen.  And, my husband just kept bringing them in.  Things were getting ugly.  Then one day, when I was complaining about my bumper crop at work, a friend said the magic words “Zucchini Bread”.
And that’s how I ended up with five zucchini bread recipes.  I sat down and started calling all my girlfriends.  Each one had one and they were all pretty much the same, with slight variations.  However, I should have known something was up when I called Mary, and she started snickering.  She started down the list of ingredients with me transcribing as fast as I could.  Every couple of seconds, she’d giggle again.  Having no idea why, I just kept writing.  I did my first double-take when she said the words ‘cocoa powder’.

Me:  “Mary, I want your zucchini bread recipe, not cake.”
Mary:  “It is zucchini bread.” (still tittering)
Me:  “Are you sure?”
Mary:  “Yes.  It’s bread, trust me.”

We continued with the recipe.  My second double-take came after the words ‘chocolate chips’.
Me:  “Mary, seriously, I want your zucchini bread recipe.  I don’t want a cake recipe.”
Mary:  “This is my zucchini bread recipe.”  (steady chuckling, now)
Me:  “Really?”
Mary:  “Yes.  It’s bread, trust me.”

By the time she uttered the words ‘pour into a prepared 9”x13” pan’, I knew it was hopeless.  But I tried one last time.

Me:  “Mary, this can’t be zucchini bread if it goes in a 9x13.”
Mary:   “Londa, it’s bread, trust me.  My recipe card says ‘bread’ and you can’t make me change my mind.”  (dead serious)
Me: “Okay, then. Bread it is.”

I’ve made this zucchini “bread” recipe many times in the intervening years since that phone conversation.  It has become my favorite zucchini “bread” recipe.  Who knows, it might become your favorite zucchini “bread” recipe, too.

Mary’s Zucchini “Bread”
INGREDIENTS
½   
cup butter
½  
cup oil
 
cup sugar
2
eggs
1
t vanilla
½
cup sour milk*
cups all-purpose flour
4
T cocoa powder
½
t baking powder
1
t soda
½
t salt
½
t cinnamon
½
t cloves
½
t nutmeg
2
cups shredded zucchini
1
small pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions 
1.     In the bowl of a large mixer, stir together butter, oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and sour milk.  Beat on med-low speed for two minutes.  In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
2.     Slow down mixer speed to low.  A bit at a time add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
3.     Add zucchini.  Mix just enough to blend into batter.
4.     Pour into a prepared 9”x13” pan.  Top with chocolate chips.

5.     Bake in a 325°F oven for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment